Sunday, July 24, 2011

Amy Winehouse; A Deeply Damaged Soul is Dead at 27 UPDATED Nov 2011

UPDATE CAUSE OF DEATH FROM EOnline;


An initial autopsy taken in the wake of the singer's death was inconclusive, though no drugs were found in her system at the time. But according to both Greenway and pathologist Suhail Baithun, plenty of alcohol, sadly, was.
Baithun told the inquest committee this morning, where their findings were revealed, that Winehouse had consumed "a very large quantity of alcohol" and that her blood-alcohol limit was more than five times that of the drunk-driving limit.



READ ENTIRE ARTICLE ON CAUSE OF DEATH HERE



Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London home July 23, 2011. Her cause of death is not known yet but the family will get the results of the autopsy within the next four weeks.

Mr Winehouse, who broke down in tears at the service at Edgwarebury Cemetery in North London, spoke on behalf of his ex-wife Janis and their son Alex and insisted she had made a ‘fantastic recovery'.

Her Father is making plans to set up a foundation to help struggling drug addicts in their daughter’s name.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2019071/Amy-Winehouse-dead-Father-Mitch-reveals-hopes-set-foundation-name.html#ixzz1TFOB1Nkt

I have not heard much from her mother other than her saying that she had seen her daughter a few hours before her death and she seemed "out of it".

In an interview in 2008, her mother Janis said she would be unsurprised if her daughter died before her time.
She said: 'I've known for a long time that my daughter has problems.
'But seeing it on screen rammed it home. I realise my daughter could be dead within the year. We're watching her kill herself, slowly.
'I've already come to terms with her dead. I've steeled myself to ask her what ground she wants to be buried in, which cemetery.
'Because the drugs will get her if she stays on this road.
'I look at Heath Ledger and Britney. She's on their path. It's like watching a car crash - this person throwing all these gifts away.'
In addition, there was a website set up called When Will Amy Winehouse Die?, with visitors asked to guess the date of death with the chance of winning an iPod Touch.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018020/Amy-Winehouse-dead-London-flat-drug-overdose.html#ixzz1TFLTtCva

What a tragic statement about our world that a persons life and even their death is made into a form of entertainment, a mere commodity for our use and consumption.

Amy was a deeply damaged soul. Once, while being interviewed by Spin magazine, she broke off talking to carve her then-boyfriend Blake Fielder-Civil's name into her stomach with a shard of mirror. What a voice. What a unique personality. What a horrible waste. But what could anyone have done? Amy Winehouse had plenty of people trying to help her, plenty of chances to turn things round. Ultimately, the bleak truth is that the forces driving her to get blitzed were stronger than the ones driving her to write and perform." said Luke Lewis about the death of Amy Winehouse.

It is believed the drug that that killed her was ecstasy. Interestingly this drug is supposed to make you happy, feel like you can do anything, even fly. This young woman, raised by Jewish parents, who I have noticed would wear the Jewish Star around her neck, was anything but happy. Her addictions, eating disorders, cutting and other self abuse all screamed out to the world through her body that her soul was beyond pain and was desperate for love. In the Catholic tradition "Ecstasy" was something experienced mystically by the saints when they entered into a mystical union with God. Some would even levitate. Is it no wonder then, that when a drug comes along promising mystical experience, that those most in need for God would accept this counterfeit? In a world that has lost it's belief in the supernatural, we keep seeing gifted artists, perhaps with unique charism and gifts of a supernatural kind, perish in search for the ultimat high yet accepting the lie instead of what they really desire?


This video displays this unique woman as well as her unique voice. The words always haunted me, "I cheated myself, like I knew I would, I told you that I was trouble, I told you that I was no good". I think they disturb me even more now.



At only 27 years old, she joins the ranks of other famous persons who died at the same young age. Among them, Jimi Hendrix who died after taking sleeping pills and alcohol. He asphixiated after inhaling his own vomit. Janis Joplin died from a heroin overdose, Jim Morrison died of an apparent heart attack, Kurt Cobain died from shooting himself with a shotgun, Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones drowned in his swimming pool, Ron "Pigpen" McKernan who was a founding member of the Grateful dead died after alcoholism caused massive internal bleeding.



There are so many listed in fact that Wikipedia has a page dedicated to them called "The 27 Club". While we await her "official" cause of death, it has been reported that it is from some kind of drug overdose. This comes as no surprise as she has been hospitalized for what was reported as an overdose of ketamine, ecstasy, cocaine, heroin and alcohol in the past and has done many stints in rehap for her many addictions, one as recently as May of this year.
.


If you are unaware of who Amy Winehouse was, then let me try and enlighten you. Amy Winehouse had a voice that could, in one man's words, pin you up against a wall. It is true, her voice was like no other and that is why I liked her voice. Her throaty jazz vocals had rough and brassy infusion yet somehow her 60's style dress and hair as well as her hip-hop slang gave her a style all her own. He lyrics seemed to always be about her life which was about drinking, taking drugs and chronic infidelity and abuse either at her own hands or at the hands of her husband who is said to be the one who introduced her to crack-cocaine.


They say that artists write, sing or paint about what they know, I say it is the making visible the invisible. Her soul, deeply damaged and troubled, manifested itself through her music. I believe anyone who heard her sing or saw her perform or even just read her lyrics would say this woman was hurt and fill with an ache so deep that it was only a matter of time before her soul cried out and was either heard or was snuffed out all together.



We live in a troubled world where as I write this, children and their mothers are dropping dead in Somalia from starvation and dehydration, children are sold into sexual slavery and drugs have become the devils way of convincing people that life is so awful, they should try to enter the dreamlike state that drugs can give them so escape from it all. The temptation is powerful, especially if you have any financial or emotional issues that threaten to overwhelm you. The dreamlike state seems to be an escape that makes life more tolerable.




We start at out as innocent souls and then along the way, some of us become deeply damaged.

Why do so many amazing souls created with such talent check out so early in life? I thought that God would never give you more than you can handle? Well, this is true, however, God desires for us to be in a relationship with Him. I think one of the common factors amongst these tragic young deaths is a lack of relationship with God. Wait, hear me out now. If anyone reading this can give me the name of a person who had a belief in God and a relationship with God yet allowed the pressures of the world to overcome and take their life then please fill me in because I can think of none.

I have been praying for Amy for years and I will not stop now. I hope that before her death, she in someway was cognizant enough to ask God to forgive her for not believing she was made for greatness and that she was a gift. I pray that she asked God to help her, to take her home. I am hoping this happened but what I fear is that the enemy might have taken her. Drugs have a way of keeping a person unaware of anything. That is the great tragedy. Drugs are becoming a a greater and greater threat in our world. The antidote, is to find a way to bear the burdens of life. She was made for relationship, we all are. The thing is, most people don't realize that ultimately, they desire a relationship with the bridegroom who never disappoints and that is Jesus Christ.


I am sad she lost the fight. I pray her soul is at peace. If you know someone with drug or alcohol addiction, don't wait, go to them now and encourage them to fight for their soul before it is too late.
Q: What is the origin of "Rehab?"

A: "We were walking down the street, on our way out to the pool hall, and I sang out of nowhere, like a joke," she said. "And Mark was like, 'Who's that?' I said, 'It's no one, I just made it up.' He's like, you should do that as a song, it's funny. And I was like, it's true."


Q: Do you feel like you're a true romantic, or is there a cynicism that keeps you from being the ultimate romantic?

A: "No, I'm a very romantic person. I'm romantic about everything."

Q: I think people think of you as being...

A: "A miserable, cynical person."

Q: Do you ever feel like you'll let people down if they expect this raconteur who's wild and you don't deliver?

A: "No. If someone goes 'Amy, let me buy you tequila,' and I'm like 'No, no, I'm not drinking,' if they ask why, I always say that I'm on antibiotics. Because I'm ashamed to just go, 'You know, I'm just not drinking.' I have to say that I'm on a course of medication, because I feel ashamed (about abstaining)."

Q: When your first album came out, someone asked where you'd be 10 years from now, and you said...

A: "Dead. Dead in a ditch, on fire."

(Q&A by Chris Willman of Reuters)

1 comment:

Judy Bailey said...

Well said Christina! This article is filled with truth and I'm glad to see if since all I have been reading on face book and twitter is either articles talking about how she was too good for this world and somehow trying to romanticize her death and other that have no understanding or sympathy for the wounds she had to be carrying to deal with life this way.

Your blog shows sensitivity and understanding of the hunger that is in all of us and the tragedy of it all when people try to fill in with the counterfeit.

Enjoy your blogs!!

Judy Bailey